A mother’s role in Islam is monumental. A bond between a mother and a child is no doubt the most cherished and forms the basis of all life. A mother carries a child in her womb for nine months, gives birth to it, nurtures the child, many times sacrificing her needs for the sake of the child. There are numerous quotes in the Quran and the Hadith which highlight the importance of parents, in particular the mother.
1. "Allah has enjoined on man kindness to his parents; in pain did his mother bear him, and in pain, did she give him birth" (Quran:46:15)
2. " Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: ‘MyLord! bestow on them Thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood' "(17:23-24).
3. "We have enjoined on man and woman (to be good) to his/her parents; show gratitude to Me and to thy parents; to Me is (thy final) Goal. If they (parents) strive to make thee join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration) and follow the way of those who turn to Me (in love)" (31:14-15).
4. The Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him said: "Your Heaven lies under the feet of your mother." (Ahmad, Nasai)
5. A man came to the Prophet and said, "O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship? The Prophet said: Your mother. The man said, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim).
6. Abu Usaid Saidi said: We were once sitting with Rasulullah when a man from the tribe of Salmah came and said to him: O Messenger of Allah! do my parents have rights over me even after they have died? And Rasulullah said: “Yes. You must pray to Allah to bless them with His Forgiveness and Mercy, fulfill the promises they made to anyone, and respect their relations and their friends.” (Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah).
Our Motherkind campaign is aimed at serving mothers, providing antenatal and postnatal care during pregnancy and childbirth. Mothers are still dying at alarming rates in developing countries because they don’t have access to quality healthcare. We want to stop these horrific rates.
This Mother's Day, give the best mother's day gift - help millions of women worldwide who don’t have access to medical intervention during the most crucial times of their lives, when they are expecting babies. Your gifts of kindness can ensure more mothers live, and fewer children are orphaned. May Allah (swt) bless you.