As Ramadan comes to a close, let's do our best to gain as many rewards as we can. In the last ten days, we look forward to Laylatul Qadr that special night when we seek forgiveness and gain the blessing of Allah (SWT).
What is Laylatul Qadr?
Laylatul Qadr means, The Night of Power. The Qur’an describes this night as 'better than a thousand months' (Al-Qadr 97:3).
When is Laylatul Qadr?
This blessed night falls on the last ten nights of Ramadan. This year it's expected to fall on the evening of April 17th, 2023. There is debate about which day it falls on but to be prepared we should commit to performing extra acts of worship on all ten nights. By doing so, we will not only gain rewards, but we’ll not risk missing the holiest night of the year.
What are the signs of Laylatul Qadr?
Contrary to popular belief, there are no specific signs for this night. However, some people have experienced the following on this night.
- Some claim the angels descend on this night, so we may feel tranquility in our hearts and peace of mind
- The night is neither very hot nor very cold but a temperate one
What are the rewards of Laylatul Qadr?
- Abu Hurayrah relates that The Prophet (saw) said: 'Whoever spends the night of Laylatul Qadr in prayer out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven.' (Sunan an-Nasa’i)
- Any action done on this night such as reciting the Qur’an and remembering Allah is more worthy of reward than doing the same actions for a thousand months.
What should I do on Laylatul Qadr?
There are many ways to gain reward on this blessed night:
- I'tikaf: If possible, remain in I’tikaf, this is the best way of not missing this night
- Ibadah: Concentrate on prayer and worship. The best du’a for this night is:
اَللَّهُمَّ اِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ ، تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنِّي Allahumma innaka ‘afuwwun, tuhibbul-‘afwa, fa’fu ‘anni (O Allah, You are most forgiving, and You love forgiveness; so forgive me)
- Give charity: The reward for any righteous act performed during this night is equivalent to performing the same act for over 83 years!
- Eat lightly: The more you eat, the harder it will be for you to stay up and the less productive you will be!
SubhanAllah! There are immense rewards in these blessed 10 nights. Allah (swt) has hidden knowledge of the exact night out of mercy. This enables us to increase our worship throughout the ten days, by praying, making dhikr and du’a, and in turn having our sins forgiven and gaining as many rewards as possible, Insh'Allah.
Don't forget to give your Sadaqah and Zakat using our automated tool The Best 10 Nights, which allows your donations to be deducted in the last 10 nights, so you guarantee giving charity on Laylatul Qadr Insha' Allah. May Allah (swt) accept our prayers and bless us all. Ameen.